All people of discerning tastes are welcome to explore the Major's hole, peruse the posts, comment on them and even submit their own billets doux to the Major's repository of antiques, curios and assorted bibelots. There is only one subject not welcome here - politics.

Sunday 14 May 2023

Not getting Nilsson

Nilsson...one of a number of people I don't "get".

Not that I rule it out at some future date.

I never thought I'd "get" Prince, or Tom Waits, or The Residents, but I do now.


Although I've never been a Nilsson fan, there's one track of his which I've loved to pieces ever since I heard it way back in 1971 - probably courtesy of John Peel.

It's this...

Taken from his best selling album "Nilsson Schmilsson", "Jump into the Fire" is a superb 7 minute wig-out comprising very loose riffing over a single chord. Its main feature is the bass line, played by ace UK session player, Herbie Flowers. Google him - he's certainly been around! During the song, he gradually detunes his bass until it's so low it's hardly audible, and then he gradually brings it back to pitch. The other musicians include Jim Gordon on drums, Chris Spedding, John Uribe and Klaus Voorman on guitars, and Jimmy Webb (yes, that Jimmy Webb!) on piano. Nilsson's voice has some heavy delay applied to it throughout, giving it an almost dub vibe, and he seems to be channeling "Abbey Road" era McCartney. Think "Oh! Darling". 

In a strange way, the track's overall groove is very like "Fur Immur" from the "NEU!2" album, with its Motorik rhythm. One of the guitars even sounds like Michael Rother. Nilsson's recording predates NEU's by a couple of years, but I doubt there's any influence at work, although there's an intriguing and striking similarity there.

Anyway, revisiting the track in an idle moment last week offered me the opportunity of seeing if I now "get" Nilsson, and what better way to start than with his best known and most successful album?

The opening track - "Gotta Get Up" - is a solid uptempo pop song that wouldn't have sounded out of place on a Monkees album a few years earlier. Nilsson wrote for the band, of course.


Next, another pop ditty called "Driving Along" which reminds me of the Beatles' "Glass Onion", particularly in its use of horns, hand claps and acoustic guitar. 

The third track is a Louis Jordan blues - "Early in the Morning". It's just a vocal and an electric piano. It's so ineffectual that I can't find anything much to say about it. Ah, I know...it's mercifully short.

Track four is "The Moonbeam Song". Again, rather Beatlish in sound, it's a gentle ballad with lots of harmonies and mellotrons towards the end. It reminds me a bit of "Across the Universe".

"Down" ends side one and again I'm forced to think "Beatles" with this slow to medium paced McCartney style rocker, with suitably crazed vocals.

Hmm...I'm not "getting" Harry at all so far.

What about side le deux?

The opening track is the song that Nilsson first thought was written by Lennon and McCartney, as well as being the song that (almost) everyone thinks was written by Nilsson. It was in fact written by Pete Ham and Tom Evans of Badfinger. "Without You" was at first envisaged as having a simple solo piano and vocal arrangement, but that idea soon went out of the window and it got the full (and very overwrought) bells and whistles treatment, and became a #1 hit practically everywhere.  

Things ended very badly indeed for Ham and Evans, who both committed suicide after royalties disputes. The full story is extremely sad and painful to hear.

 

"Coconut" follows - a novelty song consisting of one chord played over four minutes and a cod West Indian vocal. It seems longer than four minutes - a lot longer.

Track three of side two is a cover of Shirley & Lee's "Let the Good Times Roll" - for what appears to be no good reason at all. It features a rather poor harmonica solo by Nilsson. A great song, yes - but why is it here?

"Jump into the Fire" next and although it's totally at odds with the uneven, although often rather Beatlish, mood of the rest of the tracks, it's definitely the stand out song so far, and there's only one more cut to go.

The album closer is almost  Beach Boys'ish. with an orchestral arrangement not a million miles away from "Smile" era Brian Wilson, complete with a plucked banjo in there. It's OK. "I'll Never Leave You"...is that a threat or a promise?

So, have I "got" Nilsson now?

Nah - not even hardly.

The whole album sounds like something that might have been cobbled together for a posthumous release, with rejected tracks, demos and just the odd song (one in this case) worth saving. It's his best selling album which includes his best selling single, but it's a tepid affair, to say the least.

(As ever, only my opinion - feel free to differ.)

So, a one track album...but what a track!

37 comments:

  1. To get your own copy of "Nilsson Schmilsson", just answer this question which is in two parts - a radical departure for the Hole and part of its new Spring look.

    Who did you never "get" but who you've now "got"?
    Who haven't you still managed to "get" yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get not "getting" artists - I have my own battles with Neil Young, for example - but this overview of Nilsson Schmilsson is almost shockingly wide of the mark. A brilliant songwriter and remarkable vocalist, backed by a world class cast of players, engineers, producer, and mixer is hereby reduced to "rejected tracks," "demos," and the near wholesale dismissal of every element that makes this album an undisputed classic.

    I understand that points of view are subjective and that tastes vary, but I suggest that next time the good Major ought to have a listen with BOTH ears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried, believe me. I bought the album on vinyl as soon as I heard "Jump Into The Fire" and then bought it again on CD, as my wife liked "Without You" and we'd ditched all of our vinyl. So I've paid out twice.

      I can understand the Beatlish vibe for all sorts of reasons, but those two R&B covers are just baffling to me. Why?

      It's worth getting for the full length version of "Fire" alone, but I can't really endorse an album on the strength of one good cut.

      Delete
    2. I gave Schmilsson a spin again, I think I prefer his earlier stuff. On Coconut, it seems he was singing "Put the 'line' in the coconut" much of the time instead of 'lime', perhaps he was having too much 'illegal fun'.

      Delete
  3. Years ago I never cared at all for Mr Dylan but have accrued a few things of his (a dozen at most) which I enjoy.

    Neil Young's whiney-voiced oeuvre continues to go right past me without my noticing. Most Springsteen makes me think of an unholy alliance between Meat Loaf (who I adore) and Neil Diamond (who I don't).

    I know Nilsson (apart from 'Without You') only by reputation. He sounds the sort who did odd jobs for the CIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gotta say that is an interesting description of Springsteen that I don't think I've seen elsewhere and if I squint really really hard I can see what you mean...I mean, I don't agree, but I can see where that's coming from...

      Delete
    2. that's the springsteen comparison that has eluded me for so long! MEAT LOAF! the quintessential annoying artist!

      Delete
  4. "Who did you never "get" but who you've now "got"?"
    The Kinks
    For the longest time, I found their chord progressions to be uninteresting (in many ways, I still do), and lyrics about village greens and English rural life, that a girl from Brooklyn just couldn't relate to.
    Then one day it "clicked"

    Who haven't you still managed to "get" yet?
    Ella Fitzgerald.
    "On paper", I should love Ella. She's Jazz, which is my favorite genre of music. Her phrasing is impeccable. Her backing musicians were the best the 20th century had to offer. And yet, I have difficulty making it through an entire album of hers. The funny thing is, I can't quite put my finger on why.

    Then there's most sub-genres of Metal: Death Metal, Doom Metal, Viking Metal, Christian metal, Buddhist Metal (OK, I made that one up).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ella...I always preferred Sarah Vaughan. She just sounded more fun and took more risks. Top of the class for me is Billie Holiday, but I have to be in the right mood, or she can break your heart.

      Delete
    2. There's nothing like a Billie ballad, with a Lester Young solo.

      Delete
    3. Hmm, made it up you say..... Buddhist Death Metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxgc67B-SlE

      Delete
    4. Great googly moogly!

      Delete
    5. I really like Rock Music, but Viking, Doom and Death Metal seems like comedy music to me, I've seen Judas Priest a couple of times and that was about as heavy as I go. However I have seen heavy Japanese band Bo Ningen a few times, they are mesmerising live. See youchewb below:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u46-5tPK3jc

      Delete
    6. JP is my fave heavy rock act.

      The various Extreme Metal strands' efforts to seem awe-inducing, scary, apocalyptic etc are undercut by the adolescent nihilism, daft face-painting and laughable Cookie Monster vocals.

      Delete
    7. The Bo Ningen is pretty intense.

      Delete
    8. Indeed, the first time I saw them was at a festival, after their set I asked my friend "how many women were in the band?" I was only sure that the drummer was a man. "They're all guys" he said. Anyway, even though I have no idea what they are singing, as a live act they are great. I don't play their music at home much.

      Delete
    9. I'm a mega BOC fan, if that's really metal.

      There's some metal I like, but not the really intense stuff with the fast bass drumming and growly vocals.

      Delete
    10. babs,
      my feelings exactly about ella. i think something weird happened to her voice once she matured. i love her voice in 30's stuff when she was a band vocalist with chick webb. it had a nice sharp edge but gradually, over the years, a kind of a veil or fog took over.

      Delete
  5. You know, I don't get Nilsson, either. I tried, but most of it has this weird fake-ish (or distancing, maybe) music hall veneer. I just don't get anything emotional out of his music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When Nilsson was popular he completely passed me by...
    Many years later I finally got into him courtesy of Willard's Wormholes who had a separate Nilsson site if I remember correctly.
    Who haven't you still managed to "get" yet?
    Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i got into Nilsson via the Wormhole too! And Miles Davis. and so many others. Man, I miss Willard and his site.

      Delete
  7. Never, ever "got" Ornette Coleman - I tried!!
    Sun Ra I've "got" some of his work, but not all of it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some Ornette I love (eg Of Human Feelings, Naked Lunch OST) whilst am conscious I'm probably not getting what I'm meant to, or that he was perhaps a visionary with cataracts.

      Delete
  8. I borrowed Kicking Against The Pricks (Nick Cave) from the friend of my girlfriend, and when I played it later huffed dismissively at what sounded to me like pretentious stabs at foreboding drama; I don't remember if I even made it to the end of Side One. Rather than return it right away, I had my best friend come over some nights later so I could play it for him, to hear how silly it was. When I did....I had some kind of epiphany, because on that second listen I looooved it; I'm pretty sure I played the same side, too. I couldn't explain it...and still can't. I became and still am a huge Cave fan. That was the quickest turnaround.
    The slowest was Dylan. I made fun of him for years, as a pretentious (there's that word again) wordsmith who couldn't sing; better when covered by others. Then, while visiting my oldest brother soon after Biograph came out, I was bored enough in his absence to scan the back covers of the three discs and I realized I knew a lot of those songs. I went to play one of 'em -- I don't remember which one now -- and accidently hit Masters Of War, a song I'd never even heard of. The brief strumming that starts it reminded me of Working Class Hero (a fave then and to this day), but he starts in on the lyrics IMMEDIATELY, and the relentlessness of the lyrics, tune and tone just grabbed me. So I skipped around the 3-CD set and fell in love. Luckily, my next girlfriend was a major fan, so I could systematically go through the ~25 albums the guy had released up til then, and my conversion was complete. I assert that Bob Dylan is one of the most important and one of the greatest singers of the rock era, hands down.
    There are lots of artists I don't get, but I'm'a keep it positive here.
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  9. Disagree with you re Nilsson, but more to the point:
    1. The Doors - I now get to some extent (still not a huge fan) but I used to automatically turn off the radio if any of their tunes were played. Still think Morrison is overrated, but the songs and instrumentation are strong.
    2. Michael Jackson - just has never struck me as anything other than a product of Quincy Jones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off The Wall has some great stuff on it but don't care much after that.

      Delete
    2. The Jackson 5 put out some great singles in the late 60s, back when Michael was still black.

      Delete
    3. I always considered the 2 very different - solo Jackson vs Jackson 5. Not just for the obvious reasons. Jackson 5 were pure Motown. Jackson solo was pure Quincy.

      Delete
    4. There's also pre and post "Walking in Space" Quincy Jones

      Delete
  10. Some covers of Jump into the Fire, I really like Heather's:
    Chris Cornell
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj2lxqSEvtE
    LCD Soundsystem
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5lxVUQW6Bw
    Heather Trost
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBSzm0LKNk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! It never occurred to me that there'd be cover versions. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. According to SecondHandSongs, "Jump Into The Fire" has also been covered by Cheap Trick, the Hollywood Vampires, LaVern Baker, Low Cut Connie, and Ty Segall.

      My son (age 27) has wide ranging tastes, and we share discoveries with each other. Two bands he loves that I don't get are Hop Along and Pile.

      When he was a teen, we bonded over metal: Motorhead, Mastodon, QOTSA, High On Fire, Red Fang... Thanks to my son, I finally "got" The Melvins.

      Delete
  11. Here's Harry.
    Bonus track version with demos, etc.

    https://workupload.com/file/3ckhsyQt8xZ

    ReplyDelete

  12. This is a great album, varied and not dated. His other stuff no where near as good.
    Who did you never "get" but who you've now "got"?
    Bob Marley, at the time not "serious reggae" like Burning Spear etc but reading about him I appreciate his music more.
    Roxy Music - hated their first album but realised how ahead of it's time it was a few years later.
    Who haven't you still managed to "get" yet?
    too many to mention ! Oasis (beatles Tribute band), Abba - seriously uncool when they were big, now "cool", why ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've loved this album since it was released! And Willard had a great sub-site dedicated to him. Check out the doc "Who Is Harry Nillson & why are the saying these things about him" (or something like that)...
    As for Coconut, I once had a job requiring me to go to a roller skate rink where they played it regularly, and it somehow fit the venue perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeez....virtually everything BEFORE 1955 I found to be unlistenable music for SQUARES, man. Whether it was Frank Sinatra, Hank Williams, or Louis Jordan...I couldn't stand it. Give me Mott the Hoople, or give me death, as one of our revolutionary forefathers put it (I think...).

    I'm still struggling with post-WW2 jazz, but at least now I can say that I've given it a fair shake. Hey, "Cherokee" by Earl Bostic is pretty good.

    Disco. AND hip-hop. As a punk rocker, the first I hated, the second I liked but never really listened to.

    Specific bands...again, as a punk rocker there was a long list of 'em. A few weeks back on one of punk rock Facebook pages, there was a vintage pic of Jello Biafra wearing standard-issue black leather motorcycle jacket with "I hate....REO Speedwagon...Kenny Rogers....Dolly Parton...Fleetwood Mac..." etc. on it. You would not BELIEVE the outpouring of vitriol poured on him forty-three years later for daring to disrespect Dolly.

    I get the same from friends..."remember what you said about Linda Ronstadt back in 1977? Well, to this day..."

    Yikes. I was an opinionated dope, but there you go: in the fullness of time, I keep expanding my horizons.

    In general, I like short compositions played poorly but with a great deal of emotion, I prefer live music to studio recordings. Right there you can figure out bands that take some effort: Steely Dan, for example. I've had "Bodhisattva" on repeat for a few weeks, and my mind recoils at the guitar solo every time. It gets easier every time, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Schmilsson was the album that turned me off Nilsson. the previous 3 (and the Newman one) all had great moments. "She wakes up, she finds herself sleeping in a doorway..."

    ReplyDelete

Mike Bloomfield - east meets west

For a time back in the mid to late 1960s... ...Mike Bloomfield was as significant a player on the US white blues scene as Clapton was on th...