All people of discerning tastes are welcome to explore the Major's hole, peruse the posts, comment on them and even submit their own billets doux to the Major's repository of antiques, curios and assorted bibelots. There is only one subject not welcome here - politics.

Wednesday 14 June 2023

Mike Bloomfield - east meets west

For a time back in the mid to late 1960s...

...Mike Bloomfield was as significant a player on the US white blues scene as Clapton was on the UK's.

Born into a prosperous Jewish family living on Chicago’s North Side, Bloomfield became infatuated with the music that came from the city’s black South Side. The white teenager became not only accepted, but admired by the black blues musicians he met there. Muddy Waters, BB King and Buddy Guy all supported his early career, so he must have impressed them profoundly.


Those early days in Chicago gave rise to the band that brought Bloomfield to greater public attention. The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (they dropped the ‘Paul’ later) comprised Bloomfield on guitar, Paul Butterfield on harp and vocals, Elvin Bishop on guitar and vocals, Sam Lay on drums, Jerome Arnold on bass guitar and Mark Naftalin on keyboards.

This was a rare thing in 1960s America – a mixed-race band. Lay and Arnold were black and had formerly comprised not just any black rhythm section, but Howlin’ Wolf’s rhythm section!

Their first eponymous album was good, but not earth-shattering. It revealed a band which had quickly gelled together and showed off everyone’s chops well, although Bishop had yet to play any lead guitar. Listening to it alongside the Mayall/Clapton "Beano" album at the time, it seemed a little refined and, as a budding guitarist back then, Clapton’s playing sounded rawer and more direct to me. Thinking about it now, I realise that Bloomfield’s playing was actually far more fluent and less confined to the normal pentatonic licks than Clapton’s. I managed to nail Clapton’s style pretty well after a while, but the way Bloomfield played was far less easy to copy. I still listen to Bloomfield in awe of the way he strung licks into runs, especially when they descended, which I've always found to be the trickier direction.

Anyway, when the ‘difficult’ second album from the Butterfield Band came along Bloomfield’s playing had changed and progressed so dramatically that I gave up trying to copy him and just listened instead.

This album – "East West" – was unlike anything white blues guys had ever produced before. Hell, it was unlike anything anyone had produced before.


For the first time, you had a blues-influenced electric band stretching out on long improvised tracks and smashing down the boundaries between musical genres with a merging of elements of blues, jazz, Indian raga and folk music.

The track responsible for this was the title track – a 13 minute piece which included solos from Butterfield, Bloomfield and Bishop, with stellar support from the three other guys - Mark Naftalin, Jerome Arnold and Billy Davenport who'd replaced Sam Lay in between albums.

It evolved over time from a piece called ‘Raga’ and the recorded version captures it in the middle of its development with subsequent live versions becoming longer and even more complex. Fortunately, some of the versions of what was always ‘a work in progress’ are available on a commercially-released CD called ‘East West Live’ which includes a 28 minute version that reveals an intensity and complexity that has never been bettered. Even when Bloomfield and Bishop step back to play rhythm they layer tritone chords in a way I’ve never heard before or since and when the various musicians cut loose – and they all do on this version, which is noticeably less polite than any of the other versions available – the results are just brain-meltingly good.


The original was the first ‘modern’ recording I’d ever heard which took me to ‘another place’. Yes, Clapton’s playing on the ‘Beano’ album went for the ears and guts, but Bloomfield’s also went for the heart and mind. He showed me that music could take you to places you’d never been and that only existed in your mind anyway. They were unique and private places I could visit whenever I dropped the needle onto the vinyl and that Bloomfield was creating for me and everyone else who cared to listen.

It was the first ‘head’ music.

It’s my contention that without Bloomfield modern rock guitar would have remained essentially blues-based and anyone who played outside of that format would have found it far more difficult to gain acceptance. In ‘East West’ you can spot the birth of improvisation that the Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Cream-era Clapton and many others capitalised on, leaving the blues behind for a while and opening everyone’s minds to music beyond it for many, many years to come.

In a nutshell, with ‘East West’ Bloomfield gave to rock what Miles gave to jazz with ‘Kind of Blue’.

Freedom.

To get hold of a copy of "East West", and also the stunning live collection, just answer the laughably easy question in the comments below. 

Hear how the boundaries were broken!

24 comments:

  1. I've played "East West" on a regular basis ever since I bought it back in 1966. It was one of the first albums I bought.
    To get the goodies just tell us about the earliest albums that you got hold of and have stayed with you since..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Twang's The Thang". still brilliant

      Delete
    2. Paul Kossoff - 'Backstreet Crawler' (1973) - "Tuesday Morning" has always been my favorite Kossoff track. fifty years and still great.

      Delete
  2. Here's a great article all about the cover shots locations. OK, a bit trainspotterish, but this stuff is history...

    https://popspotsnyc.com/paul_butterfield_east_west/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, East West was indeed a groundbreaker. I loved it way back when. I'd got into the habit of just buying anything that came out on Elektra, Doors, Love, Zodiac Cosmic Sounds, Tim Buckley, just all of 'em. One Stop Records, South Moulton Street.

    But there's the famous quote from Joe Boyd "I gave Fairport a spot at the UFO Club in Tottenham Court Road, opening for Pink Floyd in July 1967; their second number was a version of "East-West", Mike Bloomfield's guitar showpiece on the Butterfield Blues Band's second album. "What a stupid idea!" I thought to myself. But Richard Thompson's solo put Bloomfield in the shade and convinced me that this 17-year-old had no option but to become a star."

    So I would dearly love to have heard RT's take on East West.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have heard Fairport with Thompson playing East West!
      Strangely, one of RT's recent drummers - Michael Jerome - was in a band with Dave Alvin called "The Third Mind" who released a strange jam album that included three versions of "East West". I'll upload it when I've got the other albums ready.

      Delete
  4. The two earliest albums that I got hold of and have stayed with me since, are Bill Evans 'Sunday at the Village Vanguard', which I've written about here, and Thelonious Monk's 'Monk's Dream'. Both were purchased on the same day in 1963, when I was 16. I actually played both this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zappa's "Hot Rats" - not the 1st alum I ever bought but one which I consistently listen to!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm lazy, so I'll cut 'n' paste this from my response to Farq's post ca. 1.5 months ago. The reference to the Germans is this video, recommended by OneBuckGuy, and which I so fell in love with that I play it every couple of days (not joking): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwnFX0_H-rA
    What I posted at FMF:
    Circa 1974, I bought my first three albums: Paranoid, ELP's eponymous debut (skip the Ed. comment, 'eponymous debut' rolls off the tongue better'n 'self-titled first album'), and T. Rex's Zinc Alloy. By '74, T. Rex was no bueno anymore (the previous four albums by the mighty Rex are all stellar, however), and I still love Paranoid and ELP's first. When I met my wife, who wasn't even born when Paranoid came out, she had Paranoid, telling me she heard a song off of it on the radio and stopped the car to hear who/what it was. I no longer have the T. Rex album or the wife, and I can't believe anyone would have to be convinced of Paranoid's greatness. Shit, even that German vid posted above is great, such is the power of this album!
    A better encapsulation of the album's greatness, however, is found here in this fierce 'n' feral performance, featuring lyrics that didn't make the final cut.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3b6SGoN6dA
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabbath Vol. 4 was one of my first album purchases and has remained an all time favorite. Other early favorites are some Stan Getz records I copped from my parent's record collection ("Focus" and "Getz Au Go Go")

      Delete
    2. Sabbath Vol 4 actually is what first got me interested in Spanish Classical guitar. That one track, Laguna Sunrise, just got me the first time I played the lp.

      Delete
    3. That song and the last two minutes of "Symptom of the Universe" from Sabotage are so good! I wish someone would make an extended remix of just that part of the song!

      Delete
  7. Meet the Beatles was the 1st lp I purchased. Kept that vinyl until Katrina took it, and about a thousand others of mine, away.
    Very familiar with Bloomfield and Butterfield. Both are very underappreciated musicians IMHO. Many thanks, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In 1974 I was buying singles, but by ’75 I received a couple of albums for birthdays and Christmas - Sparks, Propaganda and 10cc, Original Soundtrack. I could also save up to buy albums, often secondhand, ELP, Pictures At An Exhibition and Purples, Machine Head.
    I also remember buying 24 Carat Purple (Deep Purple comp) new, because it was a bit cheaper than a usual album, and discovered I loved the smell of record shops, the plastic sleeves, cigarette smoke, and a scent I later found out was patchouli oil. Being a school kid record shops made me feel grown-up, and most Saturdays I would cycle into town to look through the racks, and wonder what to buy next time I had enough cash. By 1980 I had a serious ‘vinyl habit’, that lasted until I ran out of shelf space around 2000.

    I still play and enjoy the records listed above, and still buy records, but I have to get rid of some from time to time because of lack of shelf space.

    Btw I saw the very wonderful Chuck Prophet and the Mission Express last night and resisted the merch table vinyl. Why this band are not huge I cannot understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuck's great. Definitely got to get him in the Hole!

      Delete
    2. Love Chuck. he had a medical scare a few years ago, and glad he's still alive and kicking. Last time I saw him live, it was in a small bar/restaurant outside of Baton Rouge (2005?!?), and there were no more than 25 people there (some just were there to eat/drink and had no idea who he was). He still put on a full show and was fantastic.

      Delete
    3. Yes, Chuck will be featured soon. I'm thinking a two parter, with Green on Red and then solo.

      Delete
    4. Looking forward to that series. His solo stuff (including the Mission Express) is so damn good.

      Delete
  9. I come from a family of record buyers....so things get a little tumbled together. My clearest memory was buying a Ray Charles album in 1958....I was in jr. high...8th grade. However that might not have been the first!?!?

    willm

    ReplyDelete
  10. East West (studio) and East West Live @320. The 28 minute version of East west is probably the best extended jam of anything by anyone.

    https://workupload.com/file/yLTnQb6QKDn

    The Third Mind - Dave Alvin's attempt to use Teo Macero editing with rock band jamming. Contains three versions of East West.

    https://workupload.com/file/cfGshTD5v2x

    East West (studio) Flac rip from an SACD.

    https://workupload.com/file/XmU6HKU9QLG

    ReplyDelete
  11. “East West (studio) Flac rip from an SACD.”
    Spiffy, thanks!

    Here’s Mike Bloomfield and Friends at the Fillmore West on February 1, 1969. Mike was the opener for Chuck Berry.
    This is reportedly from Mark Naftalin's personal soundboard tapes.

    https://workupload.com/file/8bdtHRKDPUr

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you very much for the PBBB and Third Mind. All good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been away for a bit and have come back to find these awesome East West sounds. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Stev Blog's dead?
    Cheers
    Bat

    ReplyDelete

Mike Bloomfield - east meets west

For a time back in the mid to late 1960s... ...Mike Bloomfield was as significant a player on the US white blues scene as Clapton was on th...