All people of discerning tastes are welcome to explore the Major's hole, peruse the posts, comment on them and even submit their own billets doux to the Major's repository of antiques, curios and assorted bibelots. There is only one subject not welcome here - politics.

Wednesday 7 June 2023

Tony (TS) McPhee 1944-2023

I've just heard the sad news of the death of Tony (TS) McPhee.   

Probably best known for his work with the Groundhogs, McPhee was yet another UK blues musician who emerged in the years of the British Blues Boom. 


I first became aware of him via the Immediate label blues compilation "Blues Anytime" (1968) and immediately (no pun intended) found his guitar style very appealing. It was a little more sinewy and rootsy than the style Clapton had pioneered. He became sought after as a session player and, in a stroke of luck when John Mayall's Bluesbreakers were unavailable, as a backing musician for US blues artists such as John Lee Hooker and Champion Jack Dupree on their UK tours.

John Lee Hooker's "Groundhog Blues" was where McPhee got his band's name from, and they went on to build up a strong fan base with their blues-based rock, until psychedelia came along with new avenues to investigate, but not before the band became Hooker's support of choice for his UK shows.

Here's Hooker and the Groundhogs from 1964. That's McPhee to Hooker's left with the Gibson SG.


Although it's pretty much true to say that McPhee was a bluesman first and foremost, he was more than open to experimenting with the sound of his guitar and also exploring other styles of music. He was an inveterate tinkerer with both his guitar and his stage rig, introducing various electronic effects as soon as they came on the market.

This all came to a head in 1971, after some experimentation with the Hogs on various releases, with the "Split" album, inspired by a drug-induced panic attack that McPhee had the year before.

It's a remarkable album with four thematically linked pieces making up Side One and four more blues orientated standalone pieces on Side Two.

The four part "Split" isn't some sort of concept piece - at least, not in sound - as each section can be heard individually, with none of the impact lost. Indeed, live, sections were dropped from the set list, and I'm not sure if "Split Part Three" was ever played live. McPhee morphs and warps his guitar as much as the effects of the time allowed and the lyrics all describe feelings of dread and despair, with an existential questioning of the writer's significance
.  As pretentious as that might sound, it's powerful and direct stuff with guitar, bass and drums powering behind the bleak vocals.

I can't find any live video clips of the "Split" Side One songs, but the link below takes you to what is probably the best illustration available of how far McPhee and the Hogs had traveled from playing straight blues. It's very much in the style of "Split".

Here's a different video of the band in their heyday, although it's inferior to the one above.


McPhee is on record as saying that he wished he had the means available to further augment his guitar sound on "Split" and he got this wish granted in a way much, much later with "Split Up" in 2015...

"In 1971 when 'Split' was originally released, there were {a few} guitar pedals, mainly wah-wah, overdrive & chorus (with a bit of phasing or 'flanging'). I had an Arbiter and a sound early octave pedal but I was keen to find 'new' sounds, like ring modulation. Some of the 70's bands have re-done their most popular albums but I never thought I could improve on Split, with Martin Birch engineering at De Lane Lea studios, it had it all!
When Andrew Liles (regarded by some to be the funniest man) told me he'd like to re-do Split I thought he was having a laugh, but he has done what I would have IF I'd had the modern pedals.
Andrew has done me a great service by bringing my recordings into the 21st Century."

Cursed with poor health in his later years, after suffering a series of strokes, McPhee quit the Hogs in 2015 and died at home yesterday (6 June) from complications after a fall last year. 

McPhee and the Hogs have been part of my musical world for a very long time and this tribute by Karl Hyde from Underworld, with whom McPhee had recently been collaborating, seems as good as any.

[He was] "one of the greatest unsung guitarists that this country has ever produced, and also one of its most distinct vocalists”.

In 1971, the Groundhogs were on the road supporting the Rolling Stones. The Leeds gig was recorded by the Stones' mobile studio and Glyn Johns captured the whole evening on tape. Mick Jagger gave McPhee a copy of the Hogs' set - half an hour of exciting, driving rock - and this can be yours if you answer the simple question below. 

RIP TS.

31 comments:

  1. What is your absolute favourite material possession - the one thing you couldn't stand to lose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First and foremost, Rest In Peace, Tony McPhee. I've always thought The Groundhogs should have achieved more success and acclaim than they received.

    My absolute favorite material possession is my Steinway model M piano, which I've had since 1981.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It probably wasn't my 45 of Mayall & Clapton on Mike Vernon's Purdah label. I bought it from Andy Childs for a quid in 82 and sold it to the bloke in Crouch End a couple of years ago for somewhat more. He has/had another Purdah 45 - by T S McPhee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least one TS McPhee Purdah single ended up on the Immediate label album I mentioned above - "Someone to Love Me".

      Delete
  4. I'm trying to get rid of many material possessions at the moment, however I'll say my music collection.
    Groundhogs must have been great to see live in the 70's, I caught them a few times in the 80/90's and they were always a top live act.
    Love that Light My Light video from the album Solid from 1974, it's another overlooked album.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My material possession...the cast metal bottle opener my kids gave me one Christmas long, long ago. It's a happy bear holding a beer bottle as big as he is. It always makes me smile when I pop open a beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, do you avoid the French "simply unscrew" bottles, just in order to use that thing?

      Delete
    2. Good question. I rarely buy that stuff - Kro, 1664, Heineken, etc - because it's a bit generic and often a bit underhopped for my taste. The beers I buy are usually small breweries beers and they never have the unscrewable caps.

      Delete
    3. Ah, a beer connaisseur, so to speak. Me, I'm a mainstream French beer drinker - Kro or 1664, so I rarely need a bottle opener, but then, I'm just not a big beer guy. Two beers tops, then I've had my fill of the taste, and definitely not too heavy beers (I probably like the "underhopped" part you mention), as I mainly drink a beer in spring or summer as a refreshment.

      Delete
    4. Not a beer expert at all. I'm like you - I'll have a couple or sometimes three little bottles on a Saturday night, and that's it. I sometimes don't even have that. As I'm drinking for pleasure, I'll go and get a few assorted bottles of beer, below 5% if possible. Strangely, one of my favourites isn't French, but sometimes available here. It's a US Lagunitas IPA - the Daytime label, which is only 4%. Chill it to buggery and I'm a happy beer drinker!.

      Delete
    5. I really like the strong Lagunitas beer, but generally now enjoy the hoppy UK beers that have divided UK drinkers, some people still like the malty 'dark' beers, others I know only drink pale or cloudy and heavily hopped beer. A friend of mine recently complained that the new beers have too much flavor. I've not seen 'simply unscrew' bottles here.

      Delete
    6. I'm not a big beer drinker. That said, I like a clean, crisp lager with spicy food. A few favorites are Pilsner Urquell, Corona Extra and Pabst Blue Ribbon (If it's on tap).

      Delete
    7. I've gone back to relatively low alcohol beers - 5% or under. I find some of those stupidly strong beers just taste of alcohol. I choose a blond beer usually, although some of the wheat beers are very refreshing in summer.

      Delete
    8. Babs, my son worked in the Czech Republic a few years ago and he lived in Pilsen where the Urquell brewery is. You could go and drink in the brewery bar and taste it at its absolute best. It was a very quaffable beer!

      Delete
    9. That must have been a real treat, Steve! In Manhattan, I've only seen Pilsner Urquell in bottles. Moe than once, I've had a bad bottle with that "skunky" taste, which I'm guessing was due to it not being properly stored. But a nicely chilled bottle is indeed quaffable.

      Delete
    10. "Pabst Blue Ribbon (If it's on tap)."

      Oooooh...strong Blue Velvet Vibes. If Frank and his bunch of degenerates ever show up...

      Delete
    11. Ah, the Czech republic were a fresh beer from the tap is the cheapest drink option in any bar or restaurant...so whaddareyagonnadorite...never drank as much beer in three days as when we visited Prague to see the Boss...

      Delete
    12. A nice crisp Lager sounds about right, Babs. I'm not a fan of the beers from my home area in Northern Germany, they are all extremely strong and bitter. Bitburger or Kölsch, the beer from Cologne, are tasty, well-rounded Lagers...

      Delete
    13. At present I'm on holiday in the Netherlands and enjoy drinking 'Oud Bruin', which 'is a bottom-fermented beer with a low alcohol content. The beer has a sweet to very sweet taste because the beer is artificially sweetened after the brewing process'... A great drink for long, warm, summer evenings, but usually never more than 1 or 2 bottles!

      Delete
  6. Been a tough month for musician's death again. Can't say I know much about Tony McPhee, but we lost Gordon Lightfoot a couple of weeks back who meant the world to me as a teenager and well, Tina Turner, for better or worse, was the radio soundtrack to much of my youth...

    ReplyDelete
  7. They did play Split Part Three live. The only version I've found so far.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po1j2YnjZaA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's the Hogs opening for the Stones at Leeds 1971. I've included a bonus track - a long live version of "Still a Fool".

    https://workupload.com/file/CyWNBWE5V7z

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a Groundhogs bootleg titled 'Split Shadows'. 
    In typical bootleg fashion, this was not recorded on June 8, 1972, at WMC Studios, CA as claimed on the cover, but rather at WMC FM in Memphis, Tenn, on June 8, 1972.

    Flac - https://workupload.com/file/MVxvvJzPbdt

    320 - https://workupload.com/file/jQPpq5zDYT2

    'Hooker & The Hogs'
    Musically, John Lee Hooker was infamously difficult for backing bands to work with, just ask anyone whose ever worked with him! To be honest, ‘Hook’ with a backing band, isn’t my favorite way to hear him live or his studio recordings. My favorite way to hear ‘Hook’ is him solo with an ever so slightly distorted guitar, using an open A tuning, and stomping his foot on a plywood plank. Also, it gave him the freedom to forgo (or not), the use of a “V” (five) chord, in a “I” (one) “IV” (four) “V” (five) chord 12 bar setting whenever he felt like it, which was a nightmare for backing bands. That said, 'Hooker & The Hogs' from 1965 is one of the finest examples of ‘Hook’ with a baking band that you’ll ever hear.

    Flac - https://workupload.com/file/PBA8EkCfVQQ

    320 - https://workupload.com/file/EgBNTL3DNMw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Babs, do you have all your music in Flac for connaisseurs like yourself and 320 for peasants like, uh, some of us?

      Delete
    2. Many thanks, Babs! I don't have the bootleg.

      Delete
  10. Just read this in an interview with Captain Sensible of The Damned: "The 20 minute drum solos and twiddly diddly aren't we clever prog of the 70s had got a bit excessive… for me Yes and ELP we're particularly bad. But you can't put the Groundhogs in that bag… they were innovative, gritty and spoke about real issues - like war and mental problems. I learned a lot from watching Tony McPhee perform… he created a lot of his own chord shapes using drone strings for good effect. I'm pleased to say (he) jammed with the Damned a few times. Anyone interested in edgy guitar music will get on with Thank Christ For The Bomb… its a masterpiece."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a similar article with Captain Sensible, but not that one.
      When reading about the Groundhogs I also found this - an interview with New Order's Peter Hook.

      “I’ve listened to a lot of prog rock in my time. As a kid – we’re going back to Salford, 1968, when I’m about 12 – you’re always looking for something exciting and this was one of the phases I went through. It started with Wishbone Ash and Curved Air… but one of my great favourites were Groundhogs. What a wonderful, wonderful guitar sound. They were absolutely revolutionary at the time. My favourite album of theirs is Split.

      It was Barney [Bernard Sumner from New Order] who introduced me to them, there was that thing about one-upmanship among us with our record collection. In those days you’d walk around with the latest cool record under your arm. There was a lot of sharing, we talked about music all the time. Somehow he’d come across the band and turned us all onto them. I was grabbed by Split’s cover and the way the tracks are numbered. It’s an album with such a unique sound and Tony McPhee’s also a very individual vocalist so you’re hooked straight away by a few elements. It was harsh and edgy and it did sound like the nightmare he was trying to describe. Prog rock usually has a softness to it and intricacy. I was starting to get into Sabbath, Purple and Zep, rock music with a certain delivery. Split wasn’t one of those prog records you disappeared into, it delivered on the same rock angle with shorter tracks – there’s a huge difference between what they were doing and Mountain with their live, 20-minute Nantucket Sleighride [laughs]. Some of my favourite groups are three-pieces – from Cream to Jimi Hendrix – and I adored seeing that formation with the Groundhogs.

      Delete
    2. Lots of love for McPhee and the Groundhogs here...

      https://thequietus.com/articles/30308-the-groundhogs-best-tracks-albums-brix-smith-marc-riley-karl-hyde-the-fall?page=6

      Delete
  11. In the 70-78 years there were a lot of bands that di the rounds of mid sized venues and in the North East we regularyly saw groups like Alex Harvey, Frankie Miller, Rory G and then the punk bands plus Dr Feelgood, Eddie & the Hot Rods etc. Groundhogs were one of those regulars and I probably saw them 3 or 4 time in that period and they were good !
    Favourite material possession ? - today, at 30 degrees the fridge !
    Thanks Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite material possession... My Dahon folding bike, great for cycling through the Thai countryside and Bangkok!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe they read your post: https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2023/06/09/the-groundhogs-live-at-leeds/

    ReplyDelete

Mike Bloomfield - east meets west

For a time back in the mid to late 1960s... ...Mike Bloomfield was as significant a player on the US white blues scene as Clapton was on th...